Career advice delivered to you.
Getting your first job after graduation is an exciting yet intimidating process. Let these tips help keep you from getting discouraged throughout the job-hunting process.
1. Look at each job as a learning opportunity. Your first job after graduation may not be as glamorous as you would have hoped, but look at every opportunity as a learning experience. Use your first job to get a feel for what you like and dislike– What type of work environment do you thrive in? What kind of management style do you prefer? How important is company culture? This is the time to build your business acumen and most importantly, to get proper training in the field you hope to succeed in.
2. Network, network, network! Use your personal network to leverage any and every connection you may have. Keep in touch with co-workers and employers from past jobs and internships. Good relationships open the doors for great references in the future. In addition, a simple conversation with a friend could go a long way. You never know who knows whom.
3. Prepare for your interviews. What you might lack in experience, make up for in polish and old fashion hard work. There is nothing worse than being unprepared for an interview, so give yourself enough time so you don’t feel overwhelmed. Know everything there is to know about the company, the people who work there and the position you are interviewing for to show that you are interested and engaged. In addition, it is important to research the backgrounds of the specific people you will be interviewing with. Learn more about prepping for an interview here.
4. Follow up! Show your employer that you want the job! Send a thank you note after your interview and ask your interviewer what the next step is. If you really want to land this job you have to put in the effort to prove that you are the perfect candidate. Look back at the previous blog post on the importance of writing a thank you note.
5. Update your LinkedIn profile. Many employers value the ease and simplicity of networking on LinkedIn. A quick search can target hundreds of profiles that employers are looking for. Read our previous blog post here to see what employers look for in your LinkedIn profile.
Betts Recruiting is the leading recruitment firm specializing in revenue-generating talent. Betts partners with the world’s most innovative companies to build their sales, marketing and business development teams.